Friday, July 15, 2011

Rushing River 2011, Letter 2!

I don't know why this didn't get here until today.... :P

Hello!                July 12, 2011
                                                              

Today we woke up to the crazed screeching of a bugle. This is just my opinion, but I don't think that they should let their bugle player drink coffee.
The sudden noise was quite a shock. In fact, it startled me so much that I fell out of bed. It was unpleasant, to say the least.
After I picked myself up from the floor, I looked out of our window into the blue, misty world beyond. Apparently the camp people had decided that we needed to wake up earlier than we had last year; it was only 6:15 in the morning.
The first thing we did was a nature hike. I have to admit, it was not especially fun. It was hot and muggy, and we hadn't had breakfast yet.
Breakfast was a bit of an ordeal. They served oatmeal, but they hadn't made enough of it, so a lot of people ended up eating at the concession stand.
The nature lecture was about chipmunks.
For the craft time, we made "track trackers", which are handy things that help you identify animal tracks.
Then we had recreation, where we played a few rounds of hide-and-seek.
For lunch we made sandwiches.
After lunch, it was the organized sport time, where they try to teach us how to do something. Today we learned about how to canoe. It was very basic stuff, but still valuable to know.
In free time we mostly ran around and goofed off, although we did try out the high ropes course. It was pretty laid back for the most part, except for when we met three strange girls. I was playing with Jenna and Libby, when the aforesaid three girls sauntered over. Another camper informed us that they were known as "Sneaky Pita", "Nervous Nellie", and "Average Jody".
They came over and challenged Libby to a race. Libby, being rather competitive, accepted the challenge, and they went ahead and raced. I'm not really sure who won, because in the final stretch of the race one of them tripped, and because they were running on a slight slope, they ended up rolling back to the finish line at about the same time.
I'm kind of hoping that we don't run into any of them again while we're here.
So, that's how today went. Not amazing, but not at all bad either.
I'm thinking that I might switch to only writing you every two days. Not that I don't like writing, but there are only a couple times a day when we have time to write letters, and they are few and far in between.
I'll send some more pictures next time I write a letter...
Bye!
Kit

No comments: